Plattsburgh, the seat of Clinton County, is a city in northeastern New York State, at the mouth of the Saranac River on the western shores of Lake Champlain.Zephanaiah Platt founded Plattsburgh in 1784, bringing with him a company of settlers from Long Island. Another tract of 100 acres was reserved for the first male child born there.Plattsburgh was incorporated as a village in 1795 and as a city in 1901. Over the years, pieces of Plattsburg were split off to form such other communities as Beekmantown, Saranac, and Schuyler Falls.Benedict Arnold was defeated in a naval battle near Plattsburgh in 1776 in the first naval engagement between British and American ships. The wreck of Arnold's schooner, the Royal Savage, could be seen for the next century.During the War of 1812, Plattsburgh was the headquarters for the American army on the northern front. At the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814, the Americans defeated the British land and naval forces. The anchor of the HMS Confiance was retrieved from the bottom of Lake Champlain in 1996 and is now on display at city hall.Plattsburgh's Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital is the result of a merger of Champlain Valley Hospital (1903) and Physicians Hospital (1911). Plattsburgh State University, also known as SUNY at Plattsburgh, was established in 1889. The university has an art museum, the Plattsburgh State Art Museum, on their campus. The Kent-Delord House Museum operates in the house that the British used as their officers quarters during the War of 1812. An organization has been formed to promote a future Battle of Plattsburgh Museum.
Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.
Plattsburgh, city, seat (1788) of Clinton county, northeastern New York, U.S. It lies on the west shore of Lake Champlain at the mouth of the Saranac River, 60 miles (97 km) south of Montreal, Canada. It was founded by Zephaniah Platt in 1784. During the War of 1812, it was the scene of an important U.S. victory on Lake Champlain that saved New York from possible British invasion via the Hudson River valley. A British army of some 14,000 troops under Sir George Prevost reached Plattsburgh in a joint land and sea operation. U.S. defenders included 1,500 regulars and about 2,500 militia commanded by Gen. Alexander Macomb, supported by a 14-ship U.S. naval squadron under Commodore Thomas Macdonough. The outcome of the battle was determined on water when the British fleet was decisively defeated on Sept. 11, 1814. Deprived of naval support, the invading army was forced to retreat. The victory at Plattsburgh influenced the terms of peace drawn at the Treaty of Ghent the following December. The Macdonough Memorial commemorating the battle is in front of the city hall. The Kent-Delord House (1797) served successively as British and American headquarters and is maintained as a museum.
Abundant waterpower influenced the development of lumber and paper mills. Today Plattsburgh’s industries produce paper products (including wallpaper), toys, lighting fixtures, passenger railcars, and plastics, and the city is a base for the Lake Champlain resort area. The State University of New York College at Plattsburgh (established as a normal school, 1889) and Clinton Community College (1966) of the State University of New York system are additional economic factors. Recognized as a village in 1785, it was incorporated as a city in 1902. Pop. (2000) 18,816 (2010) 19,989.
This article was most recently revised and updated by Jeff Wallenfeldt, Manager, Geography and History.
The War of 1812 began on June 18, 1812, when the United States declared war on Britain. The war declaration, opposed by a sizable minority in Congress, had been called in response to the British economic blockade of France, the impressment of American seamen into the British Royal Navy against their will, and the British support of hostile Indian tribes along the Great Lakes frontier. A faction of Congress known as the War Hawks had been advocating war with Britain for several years and had not hidden their hopes that an American invasion of Canada might result in significant territorial gains for the United States.
Did you know? Lake Champlain is named for French explorer Samuel de Champlain, who in 1609 became the first European to see the lake.
Champy: A Legendary Lake Monster As History
A New York Minute In History is offering the first episode of a special series on folklore.
In this initial journey of the “Legends and Lore of The Empire State” series, co-hosts Devin Lander and Lauren Roberts explore the legend behind a storied lake monster in Northern New York. [Read more…] about Champy: A Legendary Lake Monster As History
Open the gate, and step into history
Come celebrate the Battle of Plattsburgh with a special edition of Artifact Corner!
While 2020 has brought a lot of challenges to museums around the country, this year we decided to use the limitations to push what we're able to offer. With the start of the Artifact Corner series, we wanted to showcase some of the artifacts that are not able to be displayed within the museum on a regular basis. For the celebration of the Battle of Plattsburgh this year, we are going a step further. In partnership with the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, we're bringing you a close look at 7 different artifacts from the LCAA Collection, all recovered directly from the site of the battle between the American and British fleets in 1814. A video will be released each day, and shared to our Facebook page and YouTube channel. Let us know which one is your favorite!
17 Cumberland Ave.
Plattsburgh, NY, 12901
Tuesday – Friday 9AM to 3PM
Open for the 2020 Season
Dates to be determined
Guided Tours available
June 15th through August 31st
– Tuesday-Saturday 11AM-3PM
Visits after Oct 4th
– By appointment
Adults (including seniors) – $5
Students – up to age 18 yrs – $3
Museum members and current military – FREE
— Canadian money accepted at par
The city of Plattsburgh is the population center and county seat at the heart of the Plattsburgh Micropolitan statistical area (MSA) with a population of 82,128 according to the 2010 Census.  A statistical area representing the greater Plattsburgh region (as defined by the U.S. government), the Plattsburgh MSA includes all communities in the immediate Clinton County area.
Plattsburgh's founding under American rule Edit
Plattsburgh was founded by Zephaniah Platt in 1785 after he was granted the land by George Clinton.  In granting land to Zephaniah Platt of Poughkeepsie, New York - who went on to establish the new city of Plattsburgh to buffer emerging American interests in the Saint Lawrence River valley and Lake Champlain valley after the American victory in the American Revolutionary War - the centralized American authority proclaimed Plattsburgh in 1785.
Split from the Town of Plattsburgh Edit
On March 3, 1815, an act was passed by the Legislature incorporating the Village of Plattsburgh out of an area that was formerly the eastern part of the town. The first village elections were held on May 2 of that year. 
The village incorporated as a city in 1903.
Notable historical events Edit
With its significant location on a major water thoroughfare and proximity to the Canada–U.S. border, Plattsburgh has been the site of a number of historic events including the Revolutionary War's Battle of Valcour Island and the War of 1812's Battle of Plattsburgh the city has a War of 1812 museum. The Battle of Plattsburgh is significant as it was the final battle of the war between the British/Canadian forces and the American.
Plattsburgh Normal School was founded in 1889. It burned in 1929, and relocated to City Hall for three years.  In 1932 the college moved into the current Hawkins Hall which became the base of the modern campus. In 1948 it became State University of New York at Plattsburgh.
Plattsburgh was home to minor league baseball. The Plattsburgh Brewers team was based in Plattsburgh between 1895 and 1907. Plattsburgh teams played as members of the Eastern International League (1895), International League (1896), Northern New York League (1901–1905), Independent Northern League (1906), New Hampshire State League (1907) and Vermont State League (1907). Baseball Hall of Fame member Eddie Collins played for Plattsburgh in 1906.  
In 1915, the Preparedness Movement established the first and best-known of its training camps for prospective military volunteers at Plattsburgh. The "Plattsburgh camps" trained about 40,000 potential United States Army commissioned officers in the summers of 1915 and 1916.
During the Cold War, military functions took a prominent role in Plattsburgh, which was home to Plattsburgh Air Force Base (PAFB) and was the location of the Strategic Air Command's primary wing on the East Coast due to its geographic desirability. The base's location in the Champlain Valley (protected by the rain shadow of the Adirondack Mountains) ensured consistent, year-round weather that was safe for take-offs and landings. The 380th Bombardment, Aerospace, and Refueling Wings, all stationed at PAFB, included B-52 Bombers, air-refueling "tankers", and FB-111s. The base had a great deal [ clarification needed ] of land surface and was one of only four military bases in the United States with a landing strip large enough for a Space Shuttle landing. 
On September 1, 1961, the 556 Strategic Missile Squadron was activated at Plattsburgh AFB. The Squadron consisted of 12 Atlas "F" Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles stored in underground silos at 12 sites surrounding the city of Plattsburgh. Ten of the silos were in New York, two across Lake Champlain in Vermont. The squadron played an active role in the 1962 Cuban Missile crisis, giving President Kennedy a powerful negotiating tool in dealing with Nikita Khrushchev. The 556 SMS's life was relatively short lived since the Atlas was a liquid fuel system that was expensive and difficult to maintain. As the solid fuel Minuteman ICBM began to come on line, the liquid fueled missiles such as the Atlas and Titan were retired. The 556 SMS began inactivating in the spring of 1965, completing that task later that year.
Despite its numerous awards for performance excellence, PAFB was closed on September 29, 1995, in a round of national base closures in the early 1990s as the Air Force began to pare down its post-Cold War missions. The base property is now managed by the Plattsburgh Airbase Redevelopment Corporation (PARC) and is used by a number of industrial manufacturers and commercial airlines.
Plattsburgh remains a favorite tourist location for vacationers from Montreal and southern Quebec.  Bilingual signs, in English and French, are found in various parts of the city.  Today, the city relies largely in part on new industries with a predominantly Canadian and Québécois influence expanding on the former airbase as well as established manufacturing plants, such as Bombardier,  Nova Bus,  and others.
- , one of the seven astronauts who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster.  (1900–1991), comedy actress of the 1930s and 1940s and the star of her own CBStelevision series in 1966, The Jean Arthur Show. , world-renowned operatic tenor and first recipient of the Richard Tucker Award, known for his roles in the Bel Canto operas, was born in Plattsburgh.  , retired NHL hockey player, was born in Plattsburgh.  , poet  , Grammy-award-winning singer-songwriter, graduated State University of New York at Plattsburgh.  , author of the well-known Christmas carol "We Three Kings", was rector of Plattsburgh's Trinity Episcopal church from 1872 to 1876.  , Rear Admiral of the United States Navy, noted for his service in the American Civil War and the Spanish–American War.  , character actor, was born in Plattsburgh, attended St. Peter's Elementary School, Plattsburgh High School, and graduated from Plattsburgh State.  , former NFL linebacker , Brigadier general in the United States Marine Corps.  , first openly gay elected mayor in NY State History.  In office 2000–2006. , Brigadier General in the United States Army, noted for his participation in the Battle of Gettysburg  , Freedom Rider and Los Angeles City Controller.  , Tony Award winner who played Frankie Valli in the original Broadway cast of Jersey Boys, Clint Eastwood's eponymous film based on the play, and Member of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities (appointed by Barack Obama) graduated from Plattsburgh High School in 1993.  (October 16, 1948 – June 8, 1997) was an American professor of chemistry at Dartmouth College who specialized in toxic metal exposure. She died of mercury poisoning at the age of 48 due to accidental exposure to the organic mercury compound dimethylmercury (Hg(CH3)2). In response, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommended that the use of dimethylmercury be avoided unless absolutely necessary and mandated the use of plastic-laminate gloves (SilverShield) when handling this compound. (September 27, 1808 - August 27, 1825), renowned poet whose work before her death by Tuberculosis at the age of 16 received accolades and the praise of prominent contemporaries such as Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Southey, and Catharine Sedgwick. The epitaph on Davidson's headstone in Plattsburgh's Riverside Cemetery is a poem drafted by William Cullen Bryant, titled "The Death of the Flowers."
Plattsburgh is sometimes historically spelled as Plattsburg, leaving off the "h". Many historic documents relating to the famous naval engagement between the United States and Britain in 1814 refer to the Battle of Plattsburg.   As a result, some history has been written using the latter spelling. For example, historian and former president of the Society of the War of 1812 in Illinois, John Meloy Stahl, published in 1918 "The Battle of Plattsburg: A Study in and of The War of 1812." 
In 1950, the editor of the New York State Legislative Manual, seeking to simplify the organization of that year's manual, requested a listing of state post offices from the United States Postal Service. Upon review of the listing, the difference in spelling was noted. The city was contacted and an investigation was begun by postal authorities.
United States Postal Service records show that the name of the post office was originally Plattsburg but was changed to Plattsburgh by 1828.  In 1891, the Postmaster General ordered that post offices follow the standards set by the newly created United States Board on Geographic Names, which decided that the "h" should be dropped from place names ending in "burgh".   Subsequently, local postal officials changed the name of the village post office back to Plattsburg. As a result of the 1951 investigation, the name of the city post office was changed back again to Plattsburgh. At no time was the name of the city itself ever changed.
Clinton County HistoricalAssociation & Museum
The CCHA Museum will continue to be closed until further notice as all exhibits are being redesigned. Researchers are welcome and are encouraged to make appointments.
Clinton County Historical Museum
Hours: Wednesday - Saturday from 10a.m. to 3p.m.
Come down to the Clinton County Historical Museum to tour our exhibits today!
Bluff Point Lighthouse
A wonderfully restored lighthouse and interpretive center on Valcour Island on Lake Champlain, the Bluff Point Lighthouse is open to visitors during summer months to tour its exhibits and take in its incredible views.
Exhibit: Clinton County Military History
From 1755 to 1995, Clinton County played a pivotal role in the military history of the United States. Exhibit artifacts tell the history of this local impact including the Battle of Valcour in 1776 and the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814.
Clinton County Suffrage Exhibit
The Clinton County Suffrage exhibit recounts the battles fought for the women's right to vote at the national, state and county levels beginning in 1848. The exhibit is accompanied by a booklet that tells the County story in detail.
CCHA Facebook Feature - 1883
The Sudden death of Willis Mould &ndash February 16, 1883 &ndash 138 years ago. &ldquoKeeseville experience a terrible shock on Monday of this week by the sudden and unexpected death of Willis Mould. "
CCHA Facebook Feature - 1873
Were your ancestors on the list? - Only men could serve on juries in those days. January 3, 1873 &ndash 148 years ago.
Sunday on Valcour Island
The public is invited to join the Clinton County Historical Association (CCHA) on Sunday, July 11, 2021, at the Peru Dock for the opportunity to visit the historic Bluff Point Lighthouse on Valcour Island. Round trip transportation will be provided for $30 per person.
Plattsburgh's Industries at the Turn of the Century
6/1/21, 8:00 AM - 6/30/21, 4:00 PM
A photo array of Plattsburgh's Industries at the Turn of the Century by Dick Soper and Helen Nerska will be on display at the Clinton County Government Center on Margaret Street in Plattsburgh.
Walking Tour of U.S. Oval on Old Base
7/3/21, 10:00 AM - 7/3/21, 11:30 AM
Learn about the history of the Plattsburgh Barracks Army Base and the buildings around the old Parade Ground with Clinton County Historical Association Museum Director Helen Nerska. Meet at the CCHA Museum starting at 10 a.m., July 3.
Guided Tours of The Old Base Oval
7/3/21, 10:00 AM - 8/28/21, 11:00 AM
Join the Clinton County Historical Association (CCHA) on Saturdays July 3, July 17, August 7, and August 28 for a narrated walking tour of the historic buildings surrounding the Old Base Oval in the City of Plattsburgh. Please register for a tour by calling 561-0340. Tours are free but donations appreciated.
Summer Sundays at The Bluff Point Lighthouse
7/4/21, 1:00 PM - 8/29/21, 3:00 PM
The public is invited to visit the historic Bluff Point Lighthouse on Valcour Island each Sunday in July and August beginning July 4th. Transportation to the Lighthouse is the responsibility of the individual. Guided tours of the lighthouse are provided, and visitors will receive the Valcour Island Heritage Trail Guide.
“Sunday on Valcour Island” featuring Tours of the Historic Bluff Point Lighthouse with additional historic island farm tours
7/11/21, 9:30 AM - 7/11/21, 1:20 PM
The public is invited to join the Clinton County Historical Association (CCHA) on Sunday, July 11, 2021, at the Peru Dock for the opportunity to visit the historic Bluff Point Lighthouse on Valcour Island. Round trip transportation will be provided for $30 per person.
History of Plattsburgh, New York - History
Towns in Clinton County, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Franklin and Clinton Counties, N. Y. For 1862-3.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Ogdendburg, NY 1862
ALTONA was taken from Chazy, December 2d, 1857. It is an in terior town lying north of the center of the County. The west half is underlaid by Potsdam Sandstone, and hundreds of acres are covered with the naked rock. Great Obazy or Champlain River is the principal stream. Its surface is a rolling upland, with a slight northeasterly inclination. The / soil is light. and sandy, and a large siare is unfit for cultivation. The town is thinly populated and the settlers are principally engaged in lumbering. There is no village in town. Chazy (Altona P. O.) in the north part is a water and wood station on the O. R. R. Ellenburgh Dept is on the west line. The first settler was Simeon Wood, who located in 1800. It has an area of 61,553 acres.
AU SABLE, pronounced Aw Saw-ble, a French name signifying river of sand, was taken from Peru, March 29, 1839. It is the southeast corner town in the County, Its surface is nearly level in the east, rolling in the center and hilly in the west. The Au Sable forms nearly the whole Qf the South botindary, the Little Sable flows northeasterly through. the west part. Its soil is generally a light sandy loam, fertile in the east and center, but poor for. agricultural purposes in the west. Upon the Au Sable, where it breaks through tbe Potsdam Sandstone, is a beautiful cascade, known as Birmingham Falls. This cascade is located about two miles below Keeseville, and the romantic and picturesque scenery will well repay the tourist for the trip to see them. Iron ore of an excellent quality is to be found. The. principal ore bed now worked is that of Messrs. Arnold & Co., which yields from 1,000 to 1,500 tons anüually. Keeseville, named from Oliver and Richard Keese, Sons of John Keese, one of the original proprietprs-upon the Au Sable, five miles from the Lake, contains seven churches, the Keeseville Academy, two extensive rolling mills, three nail factories, a machine shop, an ax and edge tool factory, a cupola furnace, an axietree factory, a horseshoe factory, a planing mill, two grist mills, and a nail keg factory.
Clintonville, upon the Au Sable, in the west part of the town, was incorporated April 11, 1 1825. The Iron Works located here manufacture over 7,000 tons of iron annually.
New Sweden, further up the Au sable, in the southwest corner of the town, contains two forges. Birmingham Falls, at the head of the rapids, upon Au Sable river is a hamlet. The Union is a hamlet on the line of Peru, and contains two Quaker meeting houses. The first settlers were John Keese and others, about 1795. Edward Everett had located upon the site of the Union in 1786. The town has an area of 22,476 acres.
BEEKMANTOWN, names from Wm. Beckman, to whom with oth ers, the town was granted on March 27, 1769-was taken from Plattsburgh, February 25, 1820. Dannemora was taken off in 1854. It lies upon Lake Champlain, near the, center of the east border of the County. It is drained by many small creeks and brooks. The surface is level in the east, and moderately hilly in the west. . Point an Roche and Ram's Head are capes upon the lake. St. Armand's Bay extends into the southeast corner. The soil is a clay loam in the east and center, and a light sand in the wesy. Beekmantown (P O.) and East Beekmantown (P. O.) are hamlets on and near the line of the Plattsburg and Montreal R. R. The first settlers were Maj. Benjamin Mooers and seven associates. who located at Point an Roche, August 10th, 1783. On the 6th of Sept., 1814, the British passed through the town, when a slight skirmish took place, resulting in the death of Lieut. Colonel Wellington and Ensign Chapman, of the enemy, and several American militia. The town has an area of 35,802 acres.
BLACK BROOK, named from its principal stream, was taken from Peru, March 29, 1839. It is the southwest corner of the County. Its surface is rocky and mountainous, the highest peaks being 1,500 to 2,500 feet above the lake. Among the mountains are several nearly level table lands, 200 to 300 feet above the general level. The forest trees are thinly scattered, and nearly the whole town is too rough and poor for cultivation. The Au Sable river forms a portien of the south boundary. The Saranac flows north-esterly across the northwest corner. Great and Little Black Brook tributaries of the Au Sable, drain the central parts of the town. Among the mountains are several small lakes and ponds. The soil is cold, wet, and poorly calculated for agricultural pursuits. Extensive beds of iron ore are scattered through the town. The Palmer mine, two miles north of Au Sable Forks, yields from 16,000 to 20,000 tons annually. The Myers and Trombois mines are also largely worked. The people are principally engaged in the manufacture of iron, charcoal and lumber.
Sable Forks, on the Au Sable River. in the south-east part of the town, is mostly in Essex County. Messrs. J. & J. Rogers have extensive works here and at Black Brook1 and they manufacture over 2,500 tons of blooms, neaily 1,000 tons of merchant iron, 50,000 kegs of nails, using 1,600,000 bushels of charcoal per annum. Black Brook village, near the south border, contains extensive iron works and several sawmills. Clayburgh, on the Saranac, in the north part, lies partly in the town of Saranac. It contains Iron works and mills. Union Falls (P. O.) and Garlick Falls (P. O.,) both on the Saranac, are hamlets and lumber stations. The first settler was Zephaniah Palmer, who settled at Au Sable Forks about 1825. Several plank roads have been built in town to facilitate the iron and lumber business. The town has an area of 82,004 acres.
CHAZY- prononnced Sha-zee- was taken from Champlain, March 20, 1804. Altona was taken off in 1857. It lies upon Lake Champlain north of the center of the county. Its surface is rolling, having a gentle inclination towards the lake. The principal stream is the Little Chazy, flowing north-easterly through near the center of the town. Corbeau Creek drains the north-west part. The soil is clayey and productive in the east, and sandy and poor in the west.
Chazy village, upon Little, Chazy River, contains two churches, a saw and grist mill, large quantities of excellent lime are burned and fitted for market at this place.- West Chazy, in the south part of the town, on the Little Chazy River, is a Station on the Plattsburgh & Montreal R. R.
Sciota is a station on the P. & M. R. R., in the north-west corner. Chary Landing is a hamlet on the lake shore. Ingraham is a Post Office in the south-east corner of the town. The first settler was John La Trombois, who came into town in 1763. After the Revolution, the first settlers were refugees from Canada and Nova Scotia. The town has an area of 32,628 acres.
CLINTON was formed from Ellenburgh, May 14, 1845. It is the north west corner town of the county. Its surftce is elevated, but generally level. The highest portion along the south border is about 1,050 feet above Lake Champlain. It is nearly all underlaid by Potsdam Sandstone, which is here remarkably white. It is drained by small brooks. - More than three fourths of the town is yet a wilderness, the principal settlements being in the northeast part. The soil is a light sandy loam, capable of bearing but a thin growth of forest trees. A large part of the land is owned by capitalists and speculators. Cherubusco is a Post Office and the "Summit" station upon the O. R. R. The Frontiers (Frontier p. o.), on the north border, and Wrightsville on the west border are hamlets. The first settlers located upon the Old Military Road and near the Frontiers previous to 1820. The town has an area of 42,054 acres.
DANNEMORA named by Gen. Skinner from a celebrated iron loca lity in Sweden, was taken from Beekrnantown, Dec. 14, 1854. It is the central town upon the west border of the county. Its surfaee is mostly a wild, mountainous upland, covered with a sandy soil and light growth of forest trees Chazy Lake, near the centre, 3½ miles long by 1¼ wide, discharges its waters into C hazy River, Upper Chateaugay Lake on the west border, 5 miles long and 1½ miles wide, discharges its waters west into Chateaugay River. The settlements are confined to the southeast corner. Dannemora is a small village grown up around the Clinton Prison. This prison was located here in 1845, for the purpose of employing convicts in the mining and manufacture of iron, so that their labor would not come so directly in competition with the other mechanical trades. The first permanent settler was Thomas Hooker, who came to reside in 1838. The town has an area of 32,889 acres.
ELLENBURGH, named in compliment to Ellen, daughter of John R. Murray, of New York, the principal proprietor of Township, No. 5 of the Military Tract, was formed from Mooers, April 17, 1830. Clinton was taken off in 1845, it lies upon the west border of the county, north of the center. It is an upland, mountainous in the south and rolling in the north, with an inclination towards the north-east. It is watered principally by the west branch of the Chazy River. Crystal Brook flows through the extreme north part. The soil is generally sandy, in many places covered with a rich vegetable mould. The settlements are chiefly confined to the east and west valley, near the north line of
the town. Lumbering is extensively carried on. Ellenburgh Corners and Ellenburgh Centre are thriving little villages. Ellenburgh Depot, on the O. R. R. is a hamlet on the line of Altona. The first permanent settler was Abner Pomeroy, from Vt., about 1800. It has an area of 59,275 acres.
MOOERS, named from Maj. Gen. Benj. Mooers, an early settler and prominent citizen of the county, was formed from Champlain, March 20, 1804. Ellenburgh was taken off in 1830. Its surface is tenerally level with a gentle northeasterly inclination. The principal. streams are Great Chazy and English Rivers. The surface is entirely underlajd by Potsdam Sandstone. and is covered with a light sandy soil. Along the north border are several small swamps. Upon the Canada line in the northwest corner, is a remarkable chasm in the rocks called The Gulf it is 16 rods wide and 300 feet deep. At its bottom is a pond of water saideto be 150 feet deep. The walls are of sandstone and perpendicular. No existing agencies could have pro4uced the chasm. The lumbering business is carried on in town to a large extent.
Centerville, (Mooers Forks, p. o.) upon the Chazy River, is a station of the O. R. R.
Mooers upon the Chazy, in the east part, contains several stores and mechanic shops. It is half a mile, south of the junction of the O. and P. &
M. R. R's. Angelville upon- Corbean Creek is a hamlet in the southeast corner of the town. The first settler was Joshua C. Bosworth, who located in town in 1796. The town has an. area of 50,320 acres.
PERU, named from its mountainous Character- was taken from Plattsburgh and Willsborough, (Essex Co.) Dec. 28, 1792. A part was annexed to Willsborough in 1799, and Au Sable and Black Brook were taken off in 1839. It lies upon Lake Champlain, south of the center of the county. The surface ih the center and east part is rolling and slightly inclines towards the lake, and in the west it is broken and mountainous. The Au Sable flows across the southeast corner, and along its course are extensive swamps. Little Sable and Salmon Rivers drain the remainder of the town. Military Pond lies on the west line, and is drained by Black Brook. A strip of laud two miles wide, extending along the lake, has a sell composed of clay and clayey loam. Most of this is a plain 4 miles wide, of a sandy soil, interspersed with swamps. In the west, the soil is a light sandy loam. Peru village on the Little Sable, near the center of the town, Laphams Mills, two miles below Peru, and Peasleville, on Salmon River, in the northwest part, are thriving villages. Port Jackson (Valcour, p. o.) on the lake, opposite Valcour Island, is a hamlet containing a church. Peru Landing is a hamlet, north of the mouth of the Little Sable, The first settler was Wm. Hay, a Scotchman who located upon Steward's Patent in 1772. The town has an area of 46,763 acres.
SARANIC- was taken from Plattsburgh, March 29, 1824. It lies upon the west border of the county, south of the centre. Its surface is a broken and mountainous upland. The highest summits along the west border are 4,000 feet above tide. It is watered principally by the Saranac River and its tributaries. There are several falls upon the Saranac, affording an immense amount of water-power. The east- part sloping towards the river is covered with a light sandy soil, and the river intervale with a sandy loam and alluvium. The soil among the mountains is bandy but the whole western region is too rough for cultivation. Saranac Hollow, Radford and Russia, all on the Saranac River, are small villages. The first settlement was begun in 1802 by Russell Case and Ezekiel Pearce. The town has an area of 69,555 acres.
Visit vibrant and historic downtown
In Plattsburgh's culturally-rich downtown, you can experience the Strand Center for the Arts, Plattsburgh's unique shops, restaurants and nightlife hotspots, as well as historic City Hall. Designed by architect John Russell Pope, who also designed the National Archives and the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C., Plattsburgh City Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the lobby, you'll discover a 2,000-pound anchor recovered from Cumberland Bay in Lake Champlain. The 14-foot long artifact belonged to the British Flagship Confiance, which fought in the fierce Battle of Plattsburgh in the War of 1812. Across the street from Plattsburgh City Hall, on the banks of the Saranac River, is the Macdonough Monument. Built in 1926, the monument commemorates the U.S. victory over the British on September 11, 1814, in the Battle of Plattsburgh lead by Commodore Thomas Macdonough.
History of Plattsburgh, New York - History
The B-52 made a penetration at its home base, executed a missed approach, and subsequently landed at the weather alternate. The pilot taxied off the runway, stopped, and proceeded with his after landing checklist. Numbers 4 and 5 engines were advanced to 82% power to reset the stabilizer trim. At that time, the aircraft commander noticed that the aircraft started to roll forward. He then queried the copilot to determine if he had released the parking brakes. The copilot replied that he had not released the brakes, but he had thought the aircraft commander had done so. As indicated in their statements, neither the aircraft commander nor the copilot had released the brakes. The aircraft commander checked the braking action and found it normal and proceeded to the parallel taxiway . After reapplying the brakes he found no response and no deceleration of the aircraft. The copilot then attempted to apply the brakes, but to no avail, and he was instructed to shut down engines 1, 2, 7 and 8 and notify the tower of the difficulty. The remaining engines, with the exception of number 5 were shut down in an attempt to reduce engine thrust and maintain hydraulic pressure.
During the period that lack of braking action was experienced, there were no indication on the hydraulic panel of a malfunction or failure of any of the systems. After it was determined that the aircraft could not be controlled due to lack of braking action, the tower was again notified that complete engine shut down was being performed. Number 5 engine was shut down in the belief the aircraft would roll to a stop based on the evaluation of the terrain features at that time. The left wing of the B-52 contacted the external drop tank of KC-97 153. The B-52 rolled further and collided with KC-97 185 which in turn swung around and hit KC-97 651. Immediately after the B-52 contacted the first KC-97 the aircraft commander alerted the crew to prepare to abandon the aircraft. He then left his seat and proceeded to the lower deck to prepare for egression. The copilot remained in his seat until the aircraft came to a rest. The distance traveled from the time all engines were in cut off to the final stopping point was approximately 3,000 feet.